Jewellery Care

Sterling silver

Sterling silver is 92.5% silver. The other 7.5% is other metals, often copper which is used to add strength, with pure silver being generally too soft for manufacturing.

Sterling silver tarnishes over time, especially when it comes into regular contact with hairspray, perfume, skin cream etc. We recommend gentle polishing with a soft silver cloth to bring your silver jewellery back to life. It is best to avoid silver dips, which can contain harsh chemicals. Be very careful when polishing, especially with fine chains. Storing your jewellery in an airtight box or bag when it is not being worn can help minimize oxidisation.

Gold

Some of our jewellery, such as the Minor Obsessions by Finn range, is created from solid gold rather than being plated. Pure gold is 24k and although beautiful, it is so soft that it would gradually wear away in everyday use. For this reason, gold for jewellery is often mixed with other metals to strengthen or change it’s colour (24k gold is very yellow). Minor Obsessions pieces are created from 10k gold, which means 10 parts are pure gold and 14 another metal.

Gold is the easiest metal to care. If you need to clean it, you can do so with a soft cloth, or soap and water, drying completely afterwards. 

Gold plating

Vermeil is a form of gold plating, produced by electrolysis. It has more longevity than standard gold plating.

Gold-filled is composed of a solid layer of gold, bonded with heat and pressure to another metal. It has 100% more gold than gold-plated jewellery. Legally, the quantity of gold must beat least 1/20 of the total weight of the product.

IP plating is one of the newest and most advanced methods of plating. It has been proven to be 5 to 8 times more effective than standard gold plating, in terms of wear and corrosion resistance.

Your gold plated jewellery may need to be replated occasionally, depending on how often you wear it. Take special care with gold plated jewellery, make sure to remove before swimming, showering and sleeping. Clean your gold plated jewellery by gently rubbing with a soft cloth, or gently washing in soapy water.

Gemstones

All gemstones used by our designers are natural and special care should be taken with these pieces. Keep jewellery in boxes or pouches while not wearing it, avoid contact with hard surfaces and remove when swimming, doing sports, housework or other activities.

Warranty

All jewellery bought through Lily & Mitchell comes with a 1 year warranty, which covers manufacturing faults, but not damage caused by neglect or wear and tear.